2013 CAMPAIGN SUMMARY
- GFTH is the only coordinated effort by D.C.’s legal community to help the area’s homeless.
- GFTH is run by volunteers and has no overhead or administrative costs, so 100% of the donations we receive go to the homeless. All out-of-pocket costs are covered by donations from the Board of Directors and in-kind materials are donated by participating law firms and members of the Board.
- In over 25 years, GFTH has raised over $3.5 million to purchase new clothing.
- Last year’s effort was a huge success.
- Last winter, the value of new clothing and blankets delivered area homeless shelters was over $1.5 million!
- Approximately 70 firms and other organizations participated in the Used Clothing Drive.
- 300 volunteers sorted over 4,000 bags of used clothing and delivered them to 65 Washington,
- D.C. area shelters and service providers to the homeless.
Used Clothing Drive
- Save the Date: Friday through Sunday – December 6-8, 2013!
- Location: Portals III Complex – 12th and D Streets, SW, Washington, DC, First Floor on D Street side.
- Please donate any of these items by the morning of Friday, December 6th:
- used clothing of all kinds, but especially winter sweaters, coats, hats, and gloves, and
- especially for men and children as the need is greatest
- sleeping bags and blankets
- business clothes for men and women at transitional shelters
- sheets, pillow cases, and towels
- travel-sized toiletries — shampoo and soap
- household items
- Volunteering opportunities are available on Friday, December 6th (unloading unsorted clothing, some sorting, and some deliveries); Saturday, December 7th (sorting, bagging and deliveries) and Sunday, December 8th (final deliveries and breaking down our site – morning only).
- Volunteers are needed to sort and deliver clothing, including drivers with minivans or SUVs! Please go to www.gfth.org and visit the volunteering page
New Clothing Fundraising
- Your contributions make a difference!
- $25 purchases 5 dozen pairs of men’s socks
- $33 purchases 1 dozen children’s heavy thinsulate-lined gloves
- $50 buys 1 dozen heavy weight sweatshirts
- $100 buys 1 dozen bubble jackets
- $250 purchases 5 dozen sets of kid’s thermal underwear.
- We purchase in bulk at deep discounts, so the actual value of what we provide is much higher — your dollars work harder when you put them to use with us!
- You can contribute via check or online with your credit card.
- Checks should be made payable to “Gifts for the Homeless, Inc.” and mailed to Gifts for the Homeless, Inc., Department Number 0046, Washington, DC 20073-0046 (No FedEx or UPS deliveries please).
- You can donate online via the Donating page at www.gfth.org.
- If you donate during the Used Clothing Drive period – November/December – please indicate your firm, agency or organizational affiliation so we can credit your group for your generosity.
- All donations are tax deductible to the full extent allowed by law, because we are an Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization.
- Used Clothing – Joe Edmondson, VP Used Clothing – email@example.com
- Volunteering – Ceceile Patterson – firstname.lastname@example.org