Here are some quick facts about this year’s clothing drive.
GFTH is the only coordinated effort by D.C.’s legal community to help the area’s homeless.
GFTH is run by volunteers and has no overhead or administrative costs, so 100% of the donations we receive go to the homeless. All costs and materials are donated by participating law firms or GFTH Board members.
In over 25 years, GFTH has raised over $3 million for the purchase of new clothing.
Last year’s efforts were a huge success:
- Last winter, the value of new clothing and blankets delivered area homeless shelters was over$1 million!
- Approximately 70 firms and other organizations participated in the Used Clothing Drive.
- 400 volunteers sorted nearly 4,000 bags of used clothing and delivered them to 63 Washington, D.C. area shelters and service providers to the homeless 2009.
Used Clothing Drive
Location: Portals III Complex – 12th and D Streets, SW, Washington, DC, First Floor on D Street side!
Please donate any of these items by the morning of Friday, November 30th:
- used clothing of all kinds, but especially the items below and for men and children:
- winter sweaters
- sleeping bags
- business clothes for men and women at transitional shelters
- pillow cases
- travel-sized toiletries — shampoo and soap
- household items
Volunteering opportunities are available:
- Friday, November 30th (unloading unsorted clothing, some sorting, and some deliveries)
- Saturday, December 1st (sorting, bagging and deliveries)
- Sunday, December 2nd (deliveries and breaking down our site – morning only)
Volunteers are needed to sort and deliver clothing, including drivers with minivans or SUVs! Please go to www.gfth.org and visit the volunteering page.
New Clothing Fundraising
￼Your contributions make a difference!
- $25 purchases 5 dozen pairs of men’s socks
- $33 purchases 1 dozen men’s heavy thinsulate-lined gloves
- $50 buys 1 dozen hooded sweatshirts
- $100 buys 1 dozen fleece blankets
- $250 purchases five dozen sets of kid’s thermal underwear.
We purchase in bulk at deep discounts, so the actual value of what we provide is much higher — your dollars work harder when you put them to use with us!
You can contribute:
- Checks should be made payable to “Gifts for the Homeless, Inc.” and mailed to Gifts for the Homeless, Inc., Department Number 0046, Washington, DC 20073-0046 (No FedEx or UPS deliveries please).
- You can donate online via the Donating page at www.gfth.org.
If you donate during the Used Clothing Drive period – November/December – please indicate your firm, agency or organizational affiliation so we can credit your group with your generosity.
All donations are tax deductible to the full extent allowed by law, because we are an Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization.
Joe Edmondson, VP Used Clothing – firstname.lastname@example.org
Ceceile Patterson – email@example.com